Spencer Bakalar is a video producer at TIME. After joining the team in 2016, she produced and edited "Firsts", an expansive, award-winning multimedia project featuring 46 groundbreaking women.
Prior to TIME, she was at the Los Angeles Times, where she worked on both long-form and breaking news stories, ranging from environmental injustices in East L.A., to farm labor in Mexico, to Pulitzer Prize-winning breaking news coverage. She was also a member of the Powering a Nation team that produced Emmy-nominated 100 Gallons.
Spencer graduated from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and is currently based in New York City.
Please feel free to say hi!
- Livingston Award, Finalist - "The Silence Breakers"
- Webby Awards, People's Choice Awards (Video, News & Politics) - "The Silence Breakers"
- Society of Publication Designers, Merit (Feature Video: News/Documentary) - "The Silence Breakers"
- Gracie Awards, Finalist (Online News/Documentary) - "The Silence Breakers"
- POYi, Documentary Project of the Year, "Firsts"
- Society of Publication Designers, Gold Medal (Feature Video: Celebrity) - "Firsts"
- Webby Awards, Nominee (Video, News & Politics) - "Firsts"
- Pulitzer Prize, Breaking News Reporting, Los Angeles Times Staff
- POYi, Award of Excellence, Documentary Journalism, "Broken"
- CNPA, "Unsettled: The Exide Story"